Like most newspapers do at this time of year, the Las Cruces Sun-News is covering significant sporting events over the past year. I realize that, in addition to these stories they’ve got a lot of others things to cover, but perhaps some more thought could have been into this when compiling significant events.
Here is a great entry:
“Oct 17: NMSU men’s basketball team opens practice”
You’ve got to be kidding me!
Some obvious omissions include:
- 3/13/08 Las Cruces High Lady Bulldawgs advance to the state final four for the first time in program history, but fall to eventual state champions, La Cueva.
- 3/14/08 Mesilla Valley Christian boys basketball team wins semifinal game in triple overtime against Santa Rosa.
- 3/15/08 Mesilla Valley Christian boys basketball team falls to Texico in the state 2A championship game.
- 10/6/08 The NMSU Volleyball team sweeps #6 Hawai’i at Hawai’i.
- 11/15/08 Mayfield Lady Trojans enter state tournament as seventh seed and beat the favored Rio Rancho Rams in the state 5A championship game.
- 12/5/08 The NMSU Volleyball team advance to the second round of the NCAA tournament for the first time in program history.
To be fair, the Sun-News did have separate articles for the Mayfield and NMSU volleyball teams (using my picture), and Teddy Feinberg does mention the accomplishments of the volleyball team in his blog, Pieces of a Man.
In general, unless you’re the NMSU football or basketball program, you can pretty much count on being overlooked for consistent coverage, which ultimately is a disservice to all the other programs and athletes.
Herb Pope? Hal Mumme? No, thank you.